Re: Telecon Agenda - 4th March 2010, 1500 UTC

On 03/03/2010 12:09 PM, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> I have to send my apologies for tomorrow -- I don't know if that
> affects your agenda.
>
> (Sorry about that, but it can't be avoided.)

I'll review your proposal again and make sure I understand the
differences between it and my proposal along with the effects that it
will have on ISSUE-11 and try to drive the discussion on ISSUE-1
tomorrow. I think I have a good handle on your blog post, but we'll see
if that is actually the case during the telecon tomorrow. :)

Regarding ISSUE-11 and ISSUE-1, I believe that I tend to agree with you
more than disagree - we don't want a purely follow-your-nose solution to
be the primary mechanism. For example, if a @profile document
disappears, we want to give RDFa processors the option of getting the
prefix declarations from a different source.

We do want to give RDFa processors the option of short-circuiting the
profile mechanism for well-known profile documents. So, the primary mode
of operation for Google's vocabulary for the Google RDFa processors may
be to follow-your-nose once, parse the vocabulary document once, but
then pull the prefix mappings from a data store of some kind every 2nd,
3rd, 4th, etc. time the @profile or @vocab elements are mentioned.

The default may even be to never follow-your-nose. For example, Google
may hard code their vocabulary prefixes in their RDFa processors -
giving processor writers this flexibility may be okay as long as we're
clear that the triples that an RDFa processor generates must always be
generated as if the @profile/@vocab document were de-referenced and the
prefixes loaded out of the @profile/@vocab document.

Mark, if you could read the minutes tomorrow and respond with your
thoughts fairly soon after the telecon, that would be helpful. I have to
start editing the @profile everywhere proposal in the next week for HTML
WG, so it would be good to know if the group has objections to the
discussion we have on the telecon tomorrow.

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarming Goes Open Source
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/02/01/bitmunk-payswarming/