Re: Not waiting on browser manufacturers for RDFa 1.1

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 14:46 +0100, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> But as I said way back during the discussions on profile, if you allow
> profiles to be defined using JSON then you don't have this problem.

Mark, I know you know this, but it's good to be clear... JSON does *not*
allow you to circumvent browser cross-origin policies; JSONP does.

Why is this an important distinction? Because JSONP is essentially a
profile of Javascript. You bypass browser cross-origin policies because
instead of fetching the profile, you embed (and thus execute) the
profile as a script.

While in practise there may be situations where this is a reasonable way
to operate, executing unchecked third-party scripts carries a pretty big
risk.

I imagine that if we recommended this technique in the spec, there'd be
a lot of pushback.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>