Re: Reverted HTML+RDFa Heartbeat Draft (2010-02-18)

On 02/18/2010 01:02 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> what are the plans for an HTML5+RDFa Last Call? It would be a bit
> disagreeable to have that LC go out while the RDFa WG is still working
> on RDFa1.1 and not yet ready for a LC. I wonder what the synchronization
> plans are in this respect.

HTML5+RDFa LC is blocked by the HTML5 LC. I don't expect that HTML5 will
enter LC for several months, if not a year.

At the rate the HTML5 work is proceeding, we may not want to ever
release an HTML5+RDFa 1.0 LC and instead publish an HTML5+RDFa 1.1 LC
instead. I imagine that we'll have the RDFa 1.1 work done around the
same time that HTML5 goes to LC, but that's wild speculation on my part.

> Another approach is to explicitly flag that document you have now as
> RDFa1.0 LC and acknowledge that there will be a separate document for
> 1.1. The question will be, however, how that document would be published...
>
> The ideal would be, of course, that the RDFa+HMLT5 document would go to
> LC at the same time as RDFa1.1's LC but, well, I am not sure that is
> realistic...

Once we have a FPWD of RDFa Core 1.1, we might as well update the
HTML+RDFa spec to refer to that instead of the older XHTML+RDFa 1.0
spec. I imagine that we'll fold in several of the items that we had to
author in HTML+RDFa into RDFa Core 1.1, and do so before HTML5 goes to
LC. So, as far as I can tell, this may be how it happens:

1. Feb-March: Work on RDFa Core 1.1, Publish FPWD RDFa Core 1.1
2. April: Publish HTML+RDFa Heartbeat with reference to RDFa Core 1.1
          instead of XHTML+RDFa 1.0

Thoughts?

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarming Goes Open Source