Re: Language Tag Case Conflict (between RDF1.1 and BCP47)

On 26/01/14 14:23, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Thanks for the clarifications Ivan.
>
> So may I propose the following response to Vladimir? Maybe one of the
> chairs may want to send it.
>
> [[ You make a good point. Unfortunately, RDF 1.1 Concepts and
> Abstract Syntax is already in the Proposed Recommendation state of
> the W3C process, and at this point it is no longer possible for the
> editors to make changes (besides trivial typo/grammar issues).
>
> So this change may have to wait for a future update.
>
> If this is a showstopper for Ontotext, then technically speaking, as
> a W3C member, you are entitled to object to the publication of the
> standard, ie, to record a formal objection. The Ontotext AC can do
> this by providing a set of changes that they request in order to get
> the document published, or not to publish the Recommendations at all
> for some reason. Just as on previous steps, the W3C Director has to
> decide whether the objection is accepted or overwritten. ]]
>
> Best, Richard

-1

A/ technical

In RDF 1.1, normalization is not required.  It was, sort of, in RDF-2004
(the note that an RDF implementation does not have to normalize then
talks about comparison).  I don't see that RDF is creating language tags
(BCP47 sec 4.5), only handling them.

The comment however goes on to suggest requiring unique triples that is
not required for other semantic equivalences in RDF.  The comment mixes
syntax/storage and semantics.

:x :prop 123 .
:x :prop 0123 .

B/ Process

Vladimir has not said it is a problem for Ontotext - I read this comment
as a suggestion.  Ontotext did not raise a comment at last call.
Highlighting an objection at PR seems heavy.

I suggest a response that explains it's rather late, and does not make a
judgement about the comment.

[[
RDF 1.1 Concepts and Abstract Syntax is already in the Proposed
Recommendation state of the W3C process, and at this point it is no
longer possible for the editors to make changes (besides trivial
typo/grammar issues).  Any design change will require going back to at
least the Last Call stage.

The Working Group has considered the normalization of language tags
throughout its working phase and the design of semantic equivalence
(comparison equivalence) was the final outcome.  Normalization is one
way to achieve that, it is not the only way.

Your comment will remain on the RDF comments list and any future working
group may decide to revisit this area.
]]

	Andy

(Yes - Jena stores lang tags as-is, based on feedback that some users
expect what gets parsed is also what's written out again.)