Re: Possible tweak to datatype semantics

Le 13/09/2013 07:25, Pat Hayes a écrit :
> I know its very late to even be talking about this, but Antoine's
> test cases made me notice an oddity which the current semantics for
> datatyped literals produces, and which would be easy to fix. So I'm
> outlining it here in case the WG feels it would be worth doing.
>
> We distinguish 'recognized' datatype IRIs from the others, and right
> now, if you see a literal with an unrecognized datatype IRI in it,
> say x:dt, then you know nothing at all about what that literal means.
> Absolutely nothing. So this inference:
>
> :a :p "foo"^^x:dt .
>
> |=
>
> :a :p _:x . _:x rdf:type x:dt .
>
> is not a valid entailment. But if x:dt were recognized, it would be:
> and moreover, you know this without knowing anything about x:dt. This
> entailment is valid for ANY recognized datatype, and ANY string
> "foo". So why isn't it valid for any datatype, recognized or not?
> This is clearly slightly irrational. A rational way to reason would
> be: I know now, even without recognizing that datatype, that this
> inference will be valid when I do recognize it; and I won't need to
> know anything more about the datatype in order to make that
> inference; so why not just pretend that I recognize the datatype and
> make the inference now, to save time?

I didn't ponder this argument much before commenting on Peter's answer,
and I must say after all that this makes a lot of sense.
This entailment could not be valid in RDF 2004 because all literals (ill
typed or not) had to denote. But now there should not be a problem.

So after all +0.5 to this proposal, waiting to hear more from Peter.

AZ.

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol