A comment on issue-148

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:28:40 -0500
To: RDF Working Group <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
(Just to get this on the record.)

If we find ourselves debating the pros and cons of this issue, I want us to make a clear distinction between two distinct theses, which are conflated in the text of the comment.

Thesis 1. In actual practice, a given IRI may be used on the Web to refer to two different things. This can happen in a variety of ways, including an IRI Collision in the sense described by http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#URI-collision, but also by IRIs being used in RDF with different intended meanings.

Thesis 2. The phenomenon described in Thesis 1 can be usefully analyzed using the RDF semantics, by saying that the IRI might refer to different things in different graphs.

I agree with (1) but not with (2), for reasons which I can explain to anyone who actually wants to know. If the WG accepts the truth of (1) it is important that it not do so in a way which implies that it is accepting (2) as well.

Pat

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)