Re: Comments on Last-Call Working Draft of RDF 1.1 Concepts and Abstract Syntax

* <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-mt/index.html>

> [...]
>> few issues that I consider "major", and a couple that I consider
>> "minor".
>>>
>>> Major issues: -------------
>>>
>>> * § 3.3: "a datatype IRI, being an IRI that determines how the
>> lexical form maps to a literal value." I do not think that it is
>> correct to state that an IRIs would determine how the
>> lexical-to-value mapping works. IRIs generally do only denote some
>> resource, in this case a datatype. It's the datatype specification
>> which determines the mapping, not the IRI that denotes the
>> datatype.
>>
>> Correct. Better wording would be "..being an IRI that identifies a
>> datatype which determines..."
>>

>>> * § 3.1: I believe that the "NOTE" about IRIs, literals and
>>> blank
>> nodes being distinct should be formally specified in some way, and
>> not just "noted".
>>
>> It should be normative, for sure.
>>>
>>> * § 5.1: Several of the XML datatypes listed seem to be
>>> incompatible
>> with the definition of a "lexical-to-value mapping" in the
>> beginning of §5. According to the definition, "each member of the
>> lexical space is paired with exactly one value, and is a lexical
>> representation of that value. However, for example the lexical
>> forms of the datatype "xsd:time" do not uniquely denote a single
>> time value, but denote an infinite number of recurrent time values,
>> one per day (for a fixed time zone). Further, for the datatype
>> "xsd:date", it is not clear whether a lexical form denotes a single
>> point on the timeline (e.g. the starting point of a day), or rather
>> a whole interval of values (the whole day). Variants of these
>> problems exist for several of the other listed time-related
>> datatypes.
>>
>> This is all very arguable. The text is however correct in
>> describing what RDF assumes about datatypes. This has some
>> consequences for how the XML datatypes must be interpreted. The
>> value space of xsd:time is the 24-hour daily clock, not timepoints
>> on an infinite timeline. The value space for xsd:date is either
>> points or intervals (if you care, ask the XMLSchema authors), but
>> either way the value is required to be unique for a given lexical
>> form. Variants of these comments apply to the other time-related
>> datatypes.
>>
>> I propose that we make no changes in response to this comment. The
>> statement is accurate, and to get into this much detail is
>> inappropriate in Concepts.
>>

> I agree with you, but I know Michael has thought about this a lot.
> I'd be more comfortable if we first asked him if there's a material
> reason we can't just think about it as you suggest here, Pat.
> Given our current urgency, I think it would be best to ask asap.   I
> guess I'll take a crack at it in the morning (us/eastern) if you
> don't get to it first or say why we shouldn't.
>
> I might try to look up whether xsd is 1-1 (between values and

XSD 1.1 says that a datatype comprises:
  - a value space,
  - a lexical space,
  - a collection of functions, relations or procedures associated with
the datatype, *including* a lexical mapping, which is a mapping from the
lexical space into the value space.

Then it is said that:

"""
For the ·primitive· and ·ordinary· atomic datatypes, the ·lexical
mapping· is a (total) function on the entire ·lexical space· onto (not
merely into) the ·value space·: every member of the ·lexical space· maps
into the ·value space·, and every value is mapped to by some member of
the ·lexical space·.
"""

xsd:date, xsd:time, etc are primitive datatypes, so all literals of
these types must map to exactly one value in their value spaces.

AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol