Re: agenda for Wednesday 26 June?

On 06/25/2013 11:12 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Who wrote this damn silly charter?

Ivan served as editor, but what he wrote was all based on community
input.  See, for instance, the last row of:

    http://www.w3.org/2010/06/rdf-work-items/table

... which was only even polled because TimBL was pushing for it.

I'm confident had we asked about blank-node-predicates, they would have
garnered even more negative response.

It's possible, of course, (1) that more informed debate would have
changed people's positions, and that (2) time has changed people's
positions.   I think it would be quite reasonable to be laying the
groundwork for RDF 1.2 or 2.0 which might chang this.  That groundwork
might include some non-normative text about "generalized RDF" or
whatever, giving some convergence to people thinking in that
direction.   The main thing here would be understanding all the possible
problems with this shift and how to mitigate them.  One could make a
Community Group now to begin gathering and documenting this understanding.

         -- Sandro

> Pat
>
> On Jun 25, 2013, at 12:07 PM, David Wood wrote:
>
>> Yes, Antoine is right regardless of the state of JSON-LD.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>> --
>> http://about.me/david_wood
>>

>> On Jun 25, 2013, at 12:07, Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Cf. RDF Working Group Charter, Section 3:
>>>
>>> """
>>> 3. Out of Scope
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> Removing current restrictions in the RDF model (e.g., literals not allowed as subjects, or blank nodes as predicates)
>>> """
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/01/rdf-wg-charter#outofscope
>>>

>>> While we are proposing out of scope features, I suggest the following:
>>>
>>> <sarcasm>
>>> Proposal: subjects in RDF graphs can be literals.
>>> Explanation: this change is being made to improve cohesion in the RDF data model and to align with SPARQL, with OWL 2 RL rules, RIF, with practices in reasoners.
>>> Note:  RDF Concepts will include warnings that use of literals for subjects will cause interoperability problems for a period of time, and that this extension is to be used only when necessary.
>>> </sarcasm>
>>>

>>> AZ.

>>> --
>>> Antoine Zimmermann
>>> ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol
>>> École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne
>>> 158 cours Fauriel
>>> 42023 Saint-Étienne Cedex 2
>>> France
>>> Tél:+33(0)4 77 42 66 03