Re: New blank node scope proposal

On Jan 22, 2013, at 6:17 AM, David Wood wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> I thought about adding some things, making the definition of scope more explicit, but that will do for now to start the discussion. The idea is simply translating Pat's definition of a scope: it is a region in which variables have a certain meaning. In RDF, a "region" is a set of triples. That's what I do, I assign a set of triples to scopes. It leads to definig the concept of concrete graph, which is a set of triples "in a scope", formally a pair (scope,graph) which indicates that, according to that scope, the same blank node in any of the triples in the graph is assumed to indicate the existence of the same thing. The same blank node in a different scope would indicate the existence of a different thing.
>>>
>>> For instance, given a bnode b
>>
>> Are you here using 'b' as a bnode identifier in RDF syntax, or are you intending to indicate an actual bnode, using a meta-syntactic convention which goes beyond RDF syntax? (Do you see how awkward this gets, when we have two levels to discuss?)
>>
>>> , consider the two triples:
>>>
>>> (b, owl:sameAs, 1)
>>> (b, owl:sameAs, 2)
>>>
>>> the concrete graph:
>>>
>>> (s1, {(b, owl:sameAs, 1)})
>>>
>>> indicates that there is something that is number one.
>>>
>>> (s2, {(b, owl:sameAs, 2)})
>>>
>>> indicates that there is something that is number two. These two graphs
>>
>> But you have put one bnode into two distinct graphs. This ought to be impossible, IMO. Unless you intended 'b' to be a bnode identifier, in which case the two occurrences might identify different bnodes, making your point moot. It all depends on what level you are talking at, and what scope rules you are assuming.
>
> Isn't the problem that we currently have no defined scope for "graphs"?

No, the problem is that we currently do not even have the notion of scope in the specs at all, even though as a matter of fact everyone uses the idea that the 'document' is the scope of bnodeIDs. What Richard's idea does is basically to give this a name and incorporate it (elegantly) into the basic graph syntax model.

>  Antoine's formulation seems to address that by defining scope and avoiding the current lack of graph boundaries.

Richard's formulation already did this. But Richard applied scope to the bnodeIDs, which is the right way to do it, not to the bnodes themselves.

Pat

> Regards,
> Dave
> --
> http://about.me/david_wood
>

>> Pat
>>

>>> are both tautologically true, in OWL semantics. However,
>>>
>>> (s3, {(b, owl:sameAs, 1),(b, owl:sameAs, 2)})
>>>
>>> indicates the existence of something that is 1 and 2 at the same time, which is necessarily false.
>>>
>>> I also indicate that the scope of concrete graphs must be determined by the application that consumes the data, although publishers have conventional ways of indicating the scope, e.g., by putting the triples in the same file or in between the curly brackets in TriG syntax. However, several files may have the same scope, e.g., if a single graph is too large to be conveniently published as one file.
>>> --
>>> Antoine Zimmermann
>>> ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol
>>> École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne
>>> 158 cours Fauriel
>>> 42023 Saint-Étienne Cedex 2
>>> France
>>> Tél:+33(0)4 77 42 66 03