Re: Problem with auto-generated fragment IDs for graph names

On Feb 17, 2013, at 11:50 , Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:

> On 17/02/13 16:36, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> Manu,
>>
>> the problem with what you propose is that, I believe, it breaks some
>> SPARQL usage patterns out there. As far as I remember the main
>> obstacle around the denote vs. non-denote was that SPARQL is
>> completely silent on this issue which essentially means that in
>> SPARQL there is no way of finding out whether it denotes or not
>> denotes. So... any proposal in this issue *does* reopen the
>> floodgates of discussion. And I do not think we should do that.
>
> Sort of, sort of not.
>
> In one place, SPARQL is not silent -- FROM NAMED, but that is not a critical feature IMO.  Otherwise it is pretty neutral, defining mechanism rather than architecture.
>
> But even when DAWG was discussing this, the usage of label=location was already in use, so the DAWG/SPARQL discussions had that as input.
>
> The neutrality then was the way to get agreement then ... :-)

Sounds/looks familiar:-)

> I can image a proposal whereby
>
> <g> {...} is label and
> <value> = {...} is denotes
>
> but then at that point, we should considering real graph literals and that's beyond RDF 1.1

Ie, floodgates:-)

We do have a plan for a separate note on *possible* semantics for named graphs, afaik, and that could include some non-normative typing approaches that we did discuss. That may give some guidance for the community. But we should have our Rec track document in order first.

Ivan

----