Re: Implementation report RDF Semantics

On 18-12-13 13:12, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>> Thanks Peter
>>
>> What effect does this have on the PR transition? Strictly speaking, we
>> do not have two independent implementations for the complete test
>> suite, ie, we have not fulfilled our exit criteria. Can there be a
>> clear explanation that can be used to convince the Director that we can
>> move ahead nevertheless? (I am looking for an elevator pitch equivalent
>> of what you write below; something like "these tests are side-effect on
>> the approach used for otherwise correct inference engines"...) One
>> could actually argue whether these tests are correct in the first place
>> if they are really dependent on the engines.
>>

> One procedural technique would be to rescind those tests as not helpful to interoperability.

OK, so lets look at the two tests:

1. datatypes-intensional-xsd-integer-string-incompatible [1]

xsd:integer rdfs:subClassOf xsd:string .
   false

As I said earlier: this requires a form of disjointness reasoning
(primitive datatypes are disjoint). Our ClioPatria reasoner handles it
correctly, because we built  a kind of first-principles reasoner.
However, such an approach is  typically not taken by tool builders,
because it is not very efficient. The fact that the test is false will
typically be built implicitly into the machinery, so the system can't
actually say explictly it is wrong.

I suggest that failing this test is therefore in practice not a threat
to implementation interoperability.

2. xmlsch-02-whitespace-facet-3 [2]

ex:a ex:prop "3"^^xsd:int .
   entails
ex:a ex:prop [ a rdfs:Literal ] .

A bit of the same story. Yes, it is true. When reasoning from first
principles you would derive this fact. But why would an implementation
care?

What you do care about as implementer are the other datatype tests, e.g.:
* when there is a mismatch/equality/.. between two literals
* when there is a mismatch between a literal and its datatype.
Those are interoperability issues. And we have plenty of tests for
these. But these issues are not at stake in the two tests above.

I therefore PROPOSE that these two tests be rescinded as they are not
helpful to interoperability.

Guus

[1]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-mt/reports/index.html#test_datatypes-intensional-xsd-integer-string-incompatible