Re: Graph metadata example [was: Fwd: RDF data archives]

On Dec 5, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Guus Schreiber <guus.schreiber@vu.nl> wrote:

> Just to put the discussion about the one graph metadata triple in perspective:
>
> * Check out reference 3 in the message below [1] (sent today by a W3C chair).

? I don't see any references there, it doesn't look like a message (??)

> * Also, check the Prov bundle example in Sec. 4.2.3 of the provenance book written by the Prov chairs [2]. BTW Our response to the Prov WG a year ago is here [23.

That is fine. What they say is "we adopt the convention that the identifier of a bundle ... can be dereferenced to obtain a representation of the bundle." That is, they are using Web machinery of dereferencing to link a 'graph name' to the graph it names, *not* the dataset name-graph pairing convention. That is perfectly compatible with our specs. We could describe this convention as: "bundle identifiers denote what they conventionally identify in HTTP."

> This is simply to point out that ignoring practice is not going to help.

The primer, of necessity, will ignore a large swathe of RDF practice simply because it is a short document. I see no reason why it is obliged to focus attention on this particular (and particularly troublesome) case.

Pat

> An example *with proper caveats* might help a little bit.  Proper references to the Dataset Note will also likely be helpful.
>
> Guus
>
> [1] https://github.com/bio2rdf/bio2rdf-scripts/wiki/Bio2RDF-Dataset-Provenance
> [2] http://books.google.nl/books?id=8aBeAQAAQBAJ&pg=PT72&lpg=PT72&dq=provenance+trig&source=bl&ots=eardCUYmGt&sig=4EA4vZlWoXR-2o3CbEJwzDEPC4U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CvqgUub1JOqf0QXSxYGACw&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=provenance%20trig&f=false
> [3]  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2012Oct/0208.html

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)