Re: RDF-ISSUE-82 (TriG repeated graph iris): How should repeated graph iri labels be handled in TriG [RDF Turtle]

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 18:57 +0000, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> RDF-ISSUE-82 (TriG repeated graph iris): How should repeated graph iri labels be handled in TriG [RDF Turtle]
> >>
> >> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/82
> >>
> >> Raised by: Gavin Carothers
> >> On product: RDF Turtle
> >>
> >> There are a number of ways of handling the case of multiple instances of a graph iri labelling a number graph statements.
> >>
> >> Sample TriG Document:
> >>
> >> @base<http://example.com/>
> >> <graph>  {<s2>  <p>  <o2>  . }
> >>
> >> 1) Disallowed (TriG input document behaviour)
> >>
> >> "In a TriG document a graph IRI must not be used to label more then one graph."
> >>
> >> Result: Parse Error
> >
> > This is my personal preference, and what the original TriG input
> > document said. A merge based syntax would be N-Quads which -has- to be
> > merge based. But this is not a strongly held opinion.
>
> 0 - Tolerable.
>

> >> 2) Merge
> >>
> >> "In a TriG document graph statements with the same graph IRI should be merged to form a single RDF Graph."
> >>
> >> Result:
> >> @base<http://example.com/>
> >>           <s2>  <p>  <o2>  . }
> >>
> >> Note: BlankNode labels in each graph statement would either result in shared blank nodes or independent blank nodes (??)
> >
> > Some implementations do this already.
>
> +1
>
> Yes :-) The Jena RIOT TriG parser does.  But it will change to whatever
> the WG decides.
>
> This does not affect the fact that one IRI labels on graph - each {}
> block is a part of a graph.
>
> The graph slot is setting the graph-label-slot in any quads generated.
>
> This is my preferred design because:
>
> 1/ Tracking state over a parser run limits scalability
>     A parser that did generate errors needs to track previous use of
> label IRIs. (e.g. the error checking ids in RDF/XML).
>
> 2/ Sometimes the data you want to write does not come in
> graph-sorted-clumps and converting to a graph-grouped form leads to an
> additional pass over the data before writing starts.
>
> 3/ (extreme of 2)
>
> <graph> { <s1> <p1> <o1> }
> <graph> { <s2> <p2> <o2> }
> <graph> { <s3> <p3> <o3> }
>
> is a cheap syntax that is both TriG and single line.
>
> 4/ It can be made to look neater: so if the default graph is the
> manifest, producing like this:
>
> <graph1> { <s1> <p1> <o1> }
> {
>     <event1> :seenAs "2012-12-06" ;
>              :observed <graph1> ;;
>              .... .
> }
>
> <graph2> { <s2> <p2> <o2> }
> {
>     <event2> :seenAs "2012-12-25" ;
>              :observed <graph2> ;
>              .... .
> }
>
> is convenient for placing the info near other stuff.
>

>  >> Note: BlankNode labels in each graph statement would either result
> in shared blank nodes or independent blank nodes (??)

That's pretty compelling, but I'm still waiting to see how the use cases
can even be addressed by something like TriG, before I get into details
like this.

(The use case we heard about last time -- shared crawling -- works fine
with TriG.  But what about others, like metadata about particular RDF
Graphs (not Graph Containers)?)

> My preference is blank node labels are scoped to the file because than
> one graph can be a subgraph of another.

Yes.  I think we've got some clear use cases for this, including
explanations of reasoning, and dumping SPARQL datasets, which are
allowed to have bnodes shared between graphs...  I think.  (I'm told
they do that.  I'm having trouble figuring out where in the spec it
would say.)

    -- Sandro