Re: ACTION-135 - Review changes in XSD

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com
> wrote:

> I don't see the changes mentioning xsd:decimal.
>
> The XSD decimal canonical form says: [2]
>
> [[
> Specifically, for integers, the decimal point and fractional part are
> prohibited. For other values, the preceding optional "+" sign is
> prohibited.  The decimal point is required.  In all cases, leading and
> trailing zeroes are prohibited subject to the following:  there must be at
> least one digit to the right and to the left of the decimal point which may
> be a zero.
> ]]
>
> "For integers, the decimal point ... are prohibited."
>
> I take it that it means "integer value" here, not literal or type
> xsd:integer because it's in the decimal definition and because:
>
> [[
> The mapping from values to ·canonical representations· is given formally
> in ·decimalCanonicalMap·.
> ]]
>
> decimalCanonicalMap says:
>
> [[
>    If d is an integer, then return ·noDecimalPtCanonicalMap·(d).
>    Otherwise, return ·decimalPtCanonicalMap·(d).
> ]]
>
> so, I think, the recommendation is to have it decimal-pointless
> integer-valued decimals.  This is good - same as the integer canonical form.
>
> This is a change from 1.0 where the text only has "The decimal point is
> required." [2] and integer canonical form was not decimal canonicasl for
> for the same value.
>
> This relates to Turtle short forms - we have already chosen to make "8." a
> decimal, not integer+DOT.

We have? I recall discussions on that topic but I don't remember how that
was resolved.

The grammar in the editor's draft [1] says:

A decimal is required to have at least one digit after the "." so "8." must
be integer+DOT, not decimal, under this grammar.

> We do not rely on decimal canonicalisation for Turtle but if we encourage
> value-based systems, then this might be relevant.

Are you suggesting we align the syntax for Turtle short forms with XSD
canonical forms?

-Alex

[1]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-turtle/index.html#sec-grammar