Re: [TURTLE] Turtle Inverse Properties

On 2012-08-20, at 13:37, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> In Turtle there is a very important section 5 Conformance Note:
>>>
>>> "This specification does not define how Turtle parsers handle
>>> non-conforming input documents."
>>>
>>> If this feature has wide spread need I fully expect some
>>> implementations to implement it, the Turtle parser will still very
>>> much be conforming. Exactly what media type or how that not exactly
>>> Turtle document might be provided is unclear but that hasn't ever
>>> stopped anyone ;)
>> Yes, agreed.
>>
>> The fact that only Virtuoso supported the is … of syntax in Turtle (due to legacy from a N3 parser), and nobody supports ^ suggests to me that it's not ripe for standardisation this time round.
>>
>> If it's really that useful (I can imagine it is, but I don't write Turtle by hand very often) then people will implement it.
>>
>> - Steve
>>
> Steve,
>
> Imagine a world in which folks write Turtle by hand. One in which they come to realize creating webby document content using Turtle is significantly simpler than pursuing the same goal using HTML let alone HTML+Microdata or HTML+RDFa etc..

Exactly. That's a good reason for being very conservative with the Turtle grammar. We know what we have now works for people, and we know that N3 and RDF/XML (for example) don't.

> For years, I've been trying to find the ideal vehicle to introducing Linked Data in its most basic form, this approach means the following must hold true:
>
> 1. No HttpRange-14 distractions
> 2. No content negotiation or rewrite rules distractions
> 3. No requirement for Web Server access of Admin privileges.

Agreed.

Just because I don't write Turtle by hand very often doesn't mean other people shouldn't.

Though, to be honest I think we (RDF users) either are past that point, or should be. Writing HTML by hand went out of fashion rather quickly when the web took off, but it was critical to getting it there. IMHO.

- Steve

> Basically, making the ability to create a document and save it to a folder the prime prerequisite for commencing Linked Data exploitation.
>
> Thus far, of all the RDF document syntaxes that exist today, Turtle remains the best vehicle for achieving the goals outlined above.
>
> Conclusion:
> Contrary to early misconceptions (one I was guilty of) folks are going to write Turtle by hand because its the easiest syntax for Linked Data comprehension and bootstrap, IMHO.
>
> Links:
>
> 1. http://bit.ly/LNIeLj -- Simple Linked Data Deployment via Turtle Docs using various Storage Services (Dropbox, Amazon S3, Microsoft SkyDrive, Google Drive, and Box.NET)
>
> 2. http://bit.ly/NYwGCd -- very basic Linked Data deployment template for profile oriented documents
>
> 3. http://bit.ly/O4LNKf -- How To Create & Control Your Own Verifiable Digital Identity, at Web-scale (simplifies understanding and exploitation of the WebID authentication protocol) .
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Kingsley Idehen
> Founder & CEO
> OpenLink Software
> Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen

Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian
+44 7854 417 874  http://www.garlik.com/
Registered office: Landmark House, Experian Way, Nottingham, Notts, NG80 1ZZ