Re: Action-48 text: a New Plan for plain literals

On May 23, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider wrote:

> There would be an effect on the OWL 2 specs.  At the very least,
> rdf:LanguageTaggedLiteral would have to be added to the reserved
> vocabulary.

True.

> Sections 4.3 and 5.7 of the structural spec should be
> rewritten.  I expect that other parts of this document would have to be
> changed to reflect the new kind of lexical space.

Um... see below.

> Other normative documents would probably have to be changed, including
> the mapping to RDF, the RDF-based semantics, and profiles.
>

> There would be an effect on OWL 2 implementations.  Each implementation
> would have to handle this new form for strings.

The intention (well, MY intention :-) was that there would be no change at all to the actual surface form of any RDF interchange syntax: plain literals, with or without lang tags, would be written exactly as they are now. They would just be *considered* to have the datatypes xsd:string and rdf:LTL respectively. So the actual design for strings, for most code for most purposes, would not change at all. The use of rdf:LTL as a class name is an extension to RDF (and SPARQL), providing new functionality which was not previously available, but it is not a change to the string syntax.

Pat