Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12, string literals

Le 13/05/2011 18:17, Richard Cyganiak a écrit :
> On 13 May 2011, at 16:51, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>>> I think the sensible way would be:
>>> 1) every literal has *both* a datatype and a (possibly empty) language tag;
>>
>> If all literals have both, then you may have something like:
>>
>> "2"^^xsd:integer@en
>>
>> which is silly. Of course, you could forbid it but then the proposal sounds silly too:
>>
>> "1) every literal has both a datatype and a language tag but the language tag is always empty except for some strings."
>>

>> "Either/or" instead of "both" seems preferable.
>>
>> AZ
>
> Uhm, you could have bothered to read at least one more line:

Indeed :-P

>>> 2) of the built-in datatypes, only xsd:string can have non-empty language tags;
>
> What is silly about that?

Well, I don't see what you improve by saying that all tags are empty
except for language-tagged strings, as opposed to no literals have
language tags except strings. In both cases, you have to bother with an
exception, while the goal was to simplify things by having a more
uniform description of literals.

So, maybe it's not silly but it's unnecessary. Moreover, one can always
decide to implement literals like this, even with the current spec.

AZ

> Richard
>

>>> 3) plain literals and rdf:PlainLiterals don't exist;
>>> 4) "foo" in concrete syntaxes is syntactic sugar for "foo"^^xsd:string.