Re: publication infrastructure / respec

On May 12, 2011, at 7:49 PM, Gavin Carothers wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:
>> So, I think the real questions are:
>>
>> 1.  Version control: CVS, Mercurial, or Wiki?
>
> +1 Mercurial
>
> Offline DCVS far preferred to just about anything else.
>
> -1 CVS
>
> Deep painful memories involving tags and branches, the scars haven't
> really healed.
>
> -0.5 Mediawiki
>
> Conflicting edits are really annoying to resolve, and tend to mean
> just dropping the edit completely and starting the changes over. The
> lack of any offline capability is also frustrating at times.
>

>> 2.  Authoring format: Mediawiki markup, or HTML5-with-<sections>.  This
>> includes how the bibliography is done.
>
> Attached is a 20 minute job of turning Turtle into Respec HTML5 while
> learning how Respec works, just did the introduction and first
> section. It's reasonably easy to edit, and produces good output
> without any real tooling work at all. From the attachement it's clear
> that someone editing or reading doesn't need anything other then a
> text editor and the document being edited.
>
> The issue for Turtle with both Mediawiki and Respec will the EBNF
> sections. I hope there exists some tool for producing HTML from
> something simpler. Perhaps Eric knows and can mention whatever tool is
> currently used for that or if it's done by hand? (shudder)

I composed the current Semantics document using Dreamweaver, which seemed pretty straightforward. The ability to view your edits instantly in several different browsers was a real plus. Not sure if this counts as 'by hand'. If you use a Mac, OmniGraffle is the best graphics editor in the universe.

Pat