Re: [TTL] Differences between SPARQL and Turtle.

Andy,

thanks! See below for the individual comments:

On May 2, 2011, at 11:12 , Andy Seaborne wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/Diff_SPARQL_Turtle
>
> describes the differences and has examples.
>
> Turtle WD refers to:
> http://www.w3.org/2010/01/Turtle/
>
>  Andy
>
> Proposals for resolution of Turtle/SPARQL compatibility:
>
> # 2 Decimals
> Already done.
> SPARQL has changed.

Great.

> # 3 bNode property lists as triple patterns
> Proposal: Add to Turtle

I agree.

> # 4 RDF Collections as triple patterns
> No action.
> Not in Turtle, leave in SPARQL.

Not that it is terribly important, but any reason why not allowing it in Turtle, too? Or any major reason to leave it in SPARQL (apart from backward compatibility...). I looks to me as being equally useless in both languages...:-)

> # 5 Trailing dots
> Proposal: No changes for the moment.
>
> Include in TriG
>
> Maybe add to Turtle in a later draft; it will not invalidate a valid Turtle document.

Any reason why not adding it now and get it over with?

> # 6 Strings
> Turtle WD has the changes to adopt SPARQL ' and '''-strings

Great, go from there:-)

> # 7 Local part of prefix names can begin with a number
> Turtle WD has the changes to include numbers at the start of the local part.

Great, go from there:-)

> # 8 Escape Processing
> Proposal: Adopt Turtle style / Change SPARQL.
>
> \u escapes can only appear in strings and IRIs
> \u do not appear in the grammar but are described separately as at present.
>
> This is a change to SPARQL but in an area rarely seen.

Do you mean that adopt Turtle with that additional extension? If my understanding is correct, that would make a:\u03B1 also valid and standing for a:α, right?

I think that, for internationalization purposes, it is important that this should be valid in Turtle; one does not always have the possibility to type a:α in one's file...

If all this is true, then let us go ahead with the proposal...

Ivan

> -------
> The SPARQL Grammar (editors' working draft) currently has 3 items marked as a document note which will be in the LC candidate:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#grammar

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153