Re: [JSON] I say again, what *is* JSON?

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:25:44 +0000
Cc: <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
On 24 Mar 2011, at 20:28, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>> I'm not complaining that JSON is too complicated (and I am
>>> hoping that JSON does indeed turn out to be relatively simple).  I am
>>> complaining that requiring the understanding of essentially the entire
>>> definition of a complex programming language to understand JSON is not
>>> effective.
>>
>> Effective for whom? Effective in achieving what outcome?
>
> Well, for starters, effective for me.  Am I supposed to understand all
> of JavaScript, including the intricacies of object creation, prototypes,
> etc.?  I don't do any significant programming in JavaScript, after all,

“Javascript for Dummies” might be a better place to start than ECMA-262 then ;-)

(Sorry, could not resist ...)

Silly jokes aside, I 100% agree with Ivan's comment regarding community expectations, and with Nathan's comment regarding what we actually need to deliver.

This WG has a broad membership, including several with plenty of experience in the JSON space, so I think that base is well-covered.