Re: [JSON] Classifying the use cases

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Subject: [JSON] Classifying the use cases
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:42:10 -0500

> I moved the JSON use cases to a separate page:
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-JSON-UC
>
> In light of recent discussions, I thought it would be easy to classify
> them into a few main groups, so I had a go at it. Here are the groups:
>
> 1 Add (some of) the benefits of RDF to existing JSON services
[...]
> 2 Use JSON syntax to interact with a SPARQL store (or other RDF backend)
[...]
> 3 Publish idiomatic, developer-friendly JSON from the RDF data model
[...]
> 4 View arbitrary JSON as RDF
[...]

> The main questions that arose from the exercise for me are:
>
> a) #4 feels clearly out of scope. Perhaps #1 and #3 as well. Or not?

The charter says "Define and standardize a JSON Syntax for RDF [that is]
as complete as possible", so I think that one could argue that all of
the above are out of scope.  However, I think that #4 would be the flip
side of the charter and thus could thus be argued to be in scope, and
that #3 and #1 are reasonable corollaries of the charter and thus could
thus be argued to be in scope.  This leaves, to me, #2 as the only group
that is clearly out of scope, as there is nothing in the charter about a
JSON syntax for SPARQL results, and, anyway, shouldn't this be in the
scope of whatever WG is doing SPARQL?

[...]

> Best,
> Richard