Re: [JSON] Elephant in the room

On 3/23/2011 12:50 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 03/23/2011 12:22 PM, Nathan wrote:
>> Almost every developer I know, from enterprise to bedroom developers,
>> work primarily with OO oriented languages, or key/value data structures
>> in functional languages.
>>
>> The primary *huge* issue here, is that most people can't work with
>> triples and graphs without special tooling. Not to mention that it's
>> highly unfamiliar to them.
>>
>> Send an object with an id over the wire and people can use it, it's
>> familiar, they "get it", send them a triple, and they're lost - even if
>> they grok the graph and triple, they don't have the machinery to handle
>> it often.
>>
>> This is pretty much the sole reason that every developer I know outside
>> of the sem web community does not use RDF in any way, even though they
>> like the concepts and would like "linked data".
>
> Yes, this is exactly it!
>
> I think this is one of the fundamental misunderstandings that we are
> having in this group. Richard posted a good visualization:

Speaking for myself, it's not a misunderstanding at all. Instead, it's
just different priorities. It's not a priority for my organization for
all or even many Web developers that use LAMP-type stacks to become
Semantic Web developers.

I'm not (personally) even convinced that it's a reasonable goal in
general, but that's another (controversial, I suppose) story...

Lee