Re: [JSON] PROPOSAL: Syntax structure should be object-based

On 03/16/11 14:31, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2011, at 18:02, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> If users have to call rdf_in_json.parse() then why shouldn't they
>> just use turtle.parse() instead?
>
> Because rdf_in_json.parse() would return something semi-sensible if
> you pass any JSON response (e.g., from the Twitter API as it exists
> today) through it.
>
> And if Twitter added a bit of '#':{...} magic to their JSON, then it
> could actually return properly modeled RDF.
>
> Getting Twitter to publish something that's understood by
> turtle.parse() would likely be harder.
>
> (I'm still not sure if I fully believe the above, but I guess this is
> what motivated JSON-LD.)

Yes, exactly! There are still things that need to be addressed with this
line of thinking, but certainly, this was the general approach behind
JSON-LD. It was also the thinking behind RDFj - Mark Birbeck and I
worked on JSON-LD together. Quite a number of JSON-LD features were
inspired by (or stolen from :)) RDFj.

This same strategy was also used for RDFa - layer on top of what web
developers are already publishing.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Payment Standards and Competition