Re: [JSON] PROPOSAL: Syntax structure should be object-based

I've received an off-list e-mail pointing out that I had asked to be
notified when I crossed a line and that I had, in fact, cross a line
with the paragraph below.

On 03/15/2011 09:11 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> After re-reviewing the e-mails, I haven't seen very strong support for
>> the triple-based approach. I know that Richard did a good job writing up
>> an argument for a triple-based serialization, but even the write-up
>> wasn't a glowing recommendation for that approach.
>
> I think this is over-the-line and twists the work Richard did.
>
> Richard gave a critical, thoughtful unbiased analysis.  It is not
> advocacy.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, to twist the work that Richard did,
or to express that the work was anything but a thoughtful unbiased
analysis. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Richard and it
saddens me that this came across as anything but that. I was not
weighing his work based on how strongly he advocated for a particular
approach, but rather the logical outcome of the arguments made in the
triple-based proposal.

My word choice was poor, what I meant by "glowing recommendation" was
that the "logical arguments made in the proposal did not result in a
game changing specification". However, I can see how it would most
likely be interpreted by most in the way that the concerned party read it.

I'm appreciative to the concerned party for pointing it out as
infractions like this breed distrust and I certainly don't want to see
that happen. I don't want it to seem like this is an advocacy
competition. It is not - we're trying to form consensus based on
community need and strong logical argumentation. I personally apologize
to Richard for any damage I may have caused and I apologize to the group
for any perceived uneven-handedness on my part.

I'll try to be more careful about how I frame the good work that other
people have done in the future.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Towards Universal Web Commerce