Re: [JSON] the simple pivotal choice

From: Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:42:53 +0100
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org>, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Hi Ivan, all,

Thanks for chiming in! Comments below.

> Are these really disjoint issues?
> I guess JSON-LD is the type of
> {
> "name" : "Nathan"
> }
>
> syntax. It seems (if my understanding is correct) that JSON-LD has the option of defining prefix and term mappings either in the file itself up in the hierarchy (that is the "#" key), but it also refers to a bunch of possible 'default' mapping that a processor may take into account.

This makes definitively sense for the given use case, however, as soon
as you start mixing vocabularies foaf:name and ex:name, we are back to
the old XML problem of namespaces. JSON-LD suggests
(http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/#mashing-up-vocabularies) the use of
"ex:name", which breaks the dot-notation JavaScripters love (you can't
write someObj.foaf:name).

> (I guess Manu and Mark were pretty much inspired by what is happening in RDFa 1.1). What this means is that, for example,
> {
> "name" : "Nathan"
> }
> may stand by 'itself' in the JSON world, if the data is integrated into RDF via a JSON-LD processor, that may be turned into a
> [] foaf:name "Nathan" .
> triple. The JSON-LD processor would then act as an RDF goggle  la Nathan.

Again, I'm very much in favor of establishing well-known prefixes (so
that it is known that foaf stands for http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ by
FIXED default), or even default namespaces (so that name would be
known to be foaf:name by FLEXIBLE default).

> I just try to be a bit more specific in our design options...
And again repeating myself, I think we should try to think the Perl
way: "Easy things should be easy and hard things should be possible"
(last quote at http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Larry_Wall#Other)

Cheers,
Tom

--
Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.