Re: [Turtle] Some syntax related issues

On 09/03/11 15:50, Mischa Tuffield wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attaching an email I was forwarded by Stefano D'Angelo (cc'd)
> highlighting some concerns he had with the Turtle syntax definition. I
> will summarise his / my findings here, but have the email thread posted
> below for provenance purposes.
>
> Relevant points:
>

>> According to [3], the lexical representation of decimal values should

what's [3]?

>> always contain a period as decimal indicator, hence rule (18) should
>>
>> be:
>>
>> (18) decimal ::= ('-' | '+')? ( [0-9]+ '.' [0-9]* | '.' ([0-9])+ )
>
> I not sure I agree with this, "9" (in my reading) is a decimal number,
> as per [1]
>
> Section 3.2.3.1 states:
>
> "Leading and trailing zeroes are optional. If the fractional part is zero,
> the period and following zero(es) can be omitted."

Both Turtle and SPARQL have abbreviated syntax for integers, decimals
and doubles.  The abbreviated forms don't necessarily cover the whole
lexical space.

For example 0 is a legal lexical form for XSD integer, decimal double
and float.

While XSD integer is a derived type of XSD decimal, it is a first class
datatype when considering Funtions and Operators: integer+integer is
integer for example.

XSD double abbreviated syntax is triggered by the presence of "e" or "E".

	Andy