Re: A modest proposal concerning blank nodes.

Hi Pat,

Wow, this is unexpected!

On 2 Mar 2011, at 22:47, Pat Hayes wrote:
> So here's an idea. See if this flies.
[snip]
> This keeps all the advantages of blank nodes for human use (chiefly, that their IDs can be short and can be re-used as often as one likes, and don't need to be globally unique) while keeping the underlying RDF free from all the blank-node issues that keep giving people headaches.

In my eyes, the problem isn't blank nodes per se. In RDF Concepts, blank nodes are ~5 paragraphs. They are easy enough to understand. A graph can have anonymous nodes that don't have a global identifier. No big deal.

The problem is that RDF Semantics then defines these nodes as things that can be multiplied and merged in ways that is just way over most people's head. And all that complexity just doesn't seem to do anything useful in practice!

Ignoring the question of charter scope for a minute: I'd like to know how RDF Semantics would have to be changed to define blank nodes as “normal” graph nodes that “just” don't happen to have a global/persistent identifier. I believe this is also what Marcelo and colleagues proposed in [1] for the RDF Next Steps workshop.

Or alternatively, since everyone (including the SPARQL and OWL WGs) seems to like RDF Concepts, but ignores or hates parts of RDF Semantics: Can we refactor the specs so that the good parts would be separated from the unnecessarily complicated stuff?

Best,
Richard

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/papers/ws23