Re: C14N use case: version control

On 27/06/11 19:55, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> This is the use case that TopQuadrant has internally that prompted
> discussion between me and Gavin leading to this thread on this mailing
> list.
>
> A significant portion of our product source is in RDF.
> We are migrating our version control system to GIT to reduce cost of
> merging
> This will not work for RDF in the form that we currently store it,
> because simple changes result in completely different documents
> We are now working on a version of my earlier paper with additional
> steps to insure reasonable stability of blank node IDs.
>
> (In the terms of the paper the bnode ids will be based on a hashcode
> generated from the first distinctive triple for that bnode).

I'm curious - why not store skolemized data?  The skolemization URI
could record sufficient information related to when the bNode id was
first created.  It's then fully reversible in syntax terms (with a
little parser processing "deskolemization") to make bNodes reconstructable.

For me, this is the point of skolemization - finding a bNode again need
not be just across the web; it can also be temporally across serialized
data.

	Andy