Re: Oracle's stand regarding N-TRIPLES

Hi Zhe

in the RDF Core WG we invented N-Triples specifically scoping it as a
format for test cases.
This motivated the ascii only constraint, to make it easy for us
somewhat ignorant people to get our heads around it, (at this time Jena,
which I was also working on, had very elementary defects to do with
encodings). We also made an explicit decision to not recommend it. We wrote:

[[
*NOTE*: N-Triples is an RDF syntax for expressing RDF test cases and
defining the correspondence between RDF/XML and the RDF abstract syntax.
RDF/XML [RDF-SYNTAX
<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#ref-rdf-syntax>] is the recommended
syntax for applications to exchange RDF information.
]]

Now, had if it been rec tracked at that time,  we would have had review
comments such as
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-charmod-20020430/#sec-UniqueEncoding
[[
[S] When a unique encoding is mandated, the encoding MUST be UTF-8,
UTF-16 or UTF-32.
]]

This was the consensus at that time, and is now recommended
http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-UniqueEncoding

So ... the proposal to base N triples on UTF-8 is not introducing
another form, but completing work on N Triples that this group has been
chartered to do.

 From a procedural point of view, it seems that one way we will get a
formal objection from Oracle, and the other we will get a formal
objection from I18N

Jeremy