Re: IRI guidance

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2011, at 15:42 , Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>
> > On 04/29/2011 02:29 PM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> >>
> >> On Apr 29, 2011, at 15:17 , Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> >> <snip/>

> http://xn--9oqp94l.example/R%25D> will
> >.

> clear to me either:-).

> though.
> >>>

> >> My understanding is that, concentrating on the IDN case, the
> >> IRI->punycode does not work in 100% cases, although the punycode->IRI
> >> does. So round-trip would then mean using the punycode.
> >
> > This is also my reading of RFC3987. Hence my concern #2 below.
> >
> >> Is this what we want?
> >
> > I would sure prefer <http://伝言.example/R&D<http://xn--9oqp94l.example/R&D>>
> to be the encouraged URI
> > rather than <http://xn--9oqp94l.example/R&D> .
>
> Absolutely. But that means referring to round-tripping is _not_ what we
> want there!

I think the notion of round-tripping only works if you stick with
percent-encoding and avoid punycode -- note that section 3.2 (URI to IRI)
doesn't decode the punycode-encoded IDN, it is only concerned with
unescaping %-encoded octets.  The only mapping guaranteed to produce a valid
URI in 3.1 is percent-encoding (although such a mapped URI may not meet
scheme-specific restrictions); punycoding is optional.  I don't think we
should ignore punycoding altogether, so maybe we should discard the sentence
about round-tripping and just go with Ivan's suggestion:

'The use of %-escaped characters or punycode encoded IDN-s are strongly
discouraged.'

-Alex