Re: Skolemization and RDF Semantics

On Apr 27, 2011, at 17:53 , Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> On 27 Apr 2011, at 09:12, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> On the one hand, it is not the goal of this WG to remove blank nodes from RDF, or to change its semantics.
>
> Just to be very clear: This option was never proposed or discussed anywhere in this thread. It is not an option that is on the table. We all understand that.
>
>> On the other hand, it is also clear that many in the community have problems with blank node usage and, in many cases, would like to replace them with explicit URI-s, while still having the possibility to emphasize and get other tools to recognize the somewhat 'anonymous' nature of those nodes. I believe it is our job in the WG to give some guidance on how to achieve that in a proper manner. The formulation put forward by Sandro provided just that, and I think it would be a service to our community to get that in writing. Yes, it is informative, but very helpful nevertheless.
>>
>> It has been raised that this should be part of, say, the Primer or the concept document. Personally, I have a preference for the latter, but that is only me.
>
> +1
>
>> However, we have to recognize that the .well-known 'scheme' of Sandro, as well as a urn:genid type URI require formal steps by the IETF to get those registered. In some sense, maybe the biggest service the WG could do is to get through these registrations so that the rest of the community could use those skolemization approaches (afaik, there is no similar registration for the tag: scheme if that is what we choose to use). I presume a proper document is necessary for those registrations, which is one more reason why the skolemization scheme should be part of our documents...
>
> As you know, we have experience with registering .well-known prefixes (we did it for VoID), and it's fairly straightforward.
>
> After last week's call, some of us spent some time on IRC trying to find a set of words that worked for everyone. The result is captured in slightly dissociated form in [1], and I'll give it here for reference:
>
> | (Some intro text explaining what a skolem URI is)
> |
> | Systems wishing to skolemise bNodes, and expose those skolem
> | constants to external systems (e.g. in query results) SHOULD
> | mint a "fresh" (globally unique) URI for each bNode. Systems
> | performing skolemisation may wish to do so in a way that they
> | can recognise the constants once skolemised, and map back to
> | the source blank nodes where possible.
> |
> | Systems which want their skolem constants to be identifiable
> | by other systems SHOULD use the .well-known URI prefix. (W3C
> | will register an appropriate .well-known URI prefix with IANA
> | as per RFC 5758. Details TBD.)
>
> Perhaps we can hear any objections that remain to this phrasing?

FWIW, I am happy with this phrasing. I see some minor open issues that we have to solve:

- do we stick to .well-known/genid, or do we want to use other terms instead of genid (there were some discussion about that)
- do we want to also have a non-http versions of the URI-s that are likely to be more readable. The tag: scheme came up (though that is not necessarily more readable) or the urn:genid: version.

Both of these are minor, and we should be able to solve them quickly

> (I also note that we don't appear to have an issue on the tracker for skolemization. I suspect that there was some reason for this that I'm missing; if that's not the case, then can someone please raise an issue?)

Done. Tracker, this is relevant for ISSUE-40

Thanks

Ivan

----