Re: Additional terminology

On 27/04/11 01:19, Nathan wrote:
> Richard Cyganiak wrote:

We were driven by experience.

:x :p "foo" .

What is "foo"?

SPARQL has to be quite careful about this when defining the results of
functions.  It needs to say "returns a plain literal without language
tag" several times, hence inventing the terminology.  if it said "plain"
literal, then the result might come back with a language tag.

Seems more relevant given 2011-04-13#resolution_1

Maybe - plain literals aren't "plain"!

>>> string vs text?
>>
>> Well, but “simple literals” are supposed to be a subkind of “plain
>> literals”, which are distinct from “typed literals”, so calling them
>> “string literals” when they are supposed to be “untyped” isn't very
>> clear either ...
>
> why not just have Literal, where each literal has an optional datatype /
> lang set.

We keep literal.

"simple literal" is terminology to avoid having to say something like:

"literal without datatype or language tag"
"plain literal without language tag"

when you need to be specific.

Re: "RDF Node"

Could have been that but a property isn't a node, in the graph sense of
nodes and arcs, vertices and edges.