Re: ISSUE-30: How does SPARQL's notion of RDF dataset relate our notion of multiple graphs?

On Apr 14, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:

> Pat,
>
> I hadn't notivece this proposal either, I must confess.
>
> Aside note: I have a minor problem with that proposal: does the
> graph:import statement *have* to be in the default graph? Why not in the
> importing graph? Why not in another graph that is trusted to contain
> that kind of metadata?
>
> By raising the problem, I assume you are referring to my scenario, where
> I want to "name" a graph with, e.g., the URI of the foaf:Person it describe.

Yes. And he other variations pointed out by Dan Brickley.

>  <foaf.rdf#pa> { [[triples of my foaf profile]] }
>
> If I want another graph to import my foaf profile, it would be tempting
> to state
>
>  <other-graph> {  <> graph:imports <foaf.rdf#pa>  }
>
> which, I agree, would be a problem (because I refuse to be considered as
> a graph ;). The correct way to do it would be to write instead:
>
>  <other-graph> {  <> graph:imports <foaf.rdf>  }
>
> and you seem to imply that it would also be a problem.

Well, no, I am happy with this provided that the connection between the URI '<foaf.rdf>' and the FOAF graph itself is really one of naming, ie that the URI refers to the graph in RDF interpretations. We have yet to define how to do this, but everyone assumes that we will eventually. But what we *have* decided is, that the SPARQL-dataset-labelling syntax does *not* make the URI a name of a graph.

> But you make
> assumptions here:
>
> * that the dataset does *not* also contain a graph named <foaf.rdf>,
> with the same content
>
> * that the engine processing the graph:imports only uses the named
> graphs of the dataset to access the imported graph

No, really, it has nothing to do with engines. It has to do with semantics. What does that URI in the object position of the imports triple *mean*? What does it refer to? What is it the name of? THAT is what must determine what any engine must do. Imports in OWL and CL does not even require that an engine access a graph at all, in fact, strictly speaking. It is defined purely semantically.

> I believe that it is possible to falsify at least one of those
> assumptions, and to make graph:impots work. The most natural thing to do
> would be to have at least *some* graphs "named" with a proper
> identifier, even if that mean some reduncancy in the dataset...

Surely you want to allow importations from outside the particular dataset, right? If not, I can;t really see what the point of the proposal is.

As a meta-point, it seems clear that there are a host of unstated assumptions behind these ideas, that really ought to be brought out into the open in WG discussions. Importation is quite a big deal to get right, and assumes a robust graph naming scheme.

Pat