Re: Deprecation of X

On 8 Apr 2011, at 12:38, Nathan wrote:
> Rather than strictly deprecating certain features, can we modularize them in to another "extensions" specification, or working note, perhaps together with steps publishers / consumers can take to factor them out?
>
> Else, are we versioning "RDF" such that people can tell, oh this is RDF 1 which supports x,y,z and this is RDF 1.x which does not?

At the Stanford workshop there was a lot of talk about “weak deprecation”, meaning something like: Conforming implementations MUST still support it, but newly created data SHOULD NOT use it. There is no intention of removing the feature entirely in a future version of the spec.

Going much further than that probably is not desirable, nor really possible given the constraints set by the charter.

> I've long since been a strong proponent of deprecating these features, but they are used, and from recent statistics provided by Kingsley, it appears that Reification at least is quite heavily used.

In exactly one dataset (Uniprot) IIRC.

Best,
Richard