Re: review of rdf:text

Axel Polleres さんは書きました:

> Felix:
>
> Good point! Note that op: is not meant to be used as a prefix and has
> no namespace assigned.

you are right. See also
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath-functions-20070123/#namespace-prefixes
"Functions defined with the |op| prefix are described here to underpin
the definitions of the operators in [XML Path Language (XPath) 2.0]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath-functions-20070123/#xpath20>,
[XQuery 1.0: An XML Query Language]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath-functions-20070123/#xquery> and
[XSL Transformations (XSLT) Version 2.0]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath-functions-20070123/#xslt20>. These
functions are not available directly to users, and there is no
requirement that implementations should actually provide these
functions. For this reason, no namespace is associated with the |op|
prefix. For example, multiplication is generally associated with the |*|
operator, but it is described as a function in this document:"

> I removed op:text-equal completely, since the "eq" operator is anyway
> backed up by fn:text-compare.
>
> Instead, I added in the description of fn:compare:
>
> "
> This function, invoked with the first signature, backs up the "eq",
> "ne", "gt", "lt", "le" and "ge" operators on text values."
>

> As for reusing the fn: namespace ... that is basically the same issue
> as with using the rdf: namespace for rdf:text... so, I see no reason
> why we shouldn't reuse the fn: namespace here, since the definitions
> here truly extend XML datatypes and the related XPath/Xquery functions.

A theoretical or political reason: your examples look like XQuery , but
they are not part of the functions defined for XQuery 1.0 / XPath 2.0
fo. IMO you should talk to the XQuery WG to make sure that they approve
your approch of using their namespace - if you haven't done that already?

A practical reason: all implementations of XQuery 1.0 will break with
your approach. Using a different prefix, however, and an implementation
of your functions with the already existing means of user defined
functions, would make life easier for these implementations. E.g.

myfn:text-from-string ( $arg as xs:string) as rdf:text

Well, you might need to cheat for the return type rdf:text, but at least
this could build a bridge the existing implementations ...

Felix