Re: drop referentially opaque semantics in embedded triples

(editor's hat on)

Thomas,

first of all, thanks for taking the time to write all this down. I think
I am getting a clearer view of your position. My take away is that maybe
we are trying to solve too many use-cases with a single construct
(embedded triples). An alternative could be to use opaque graph literals
(as proposed by Antoine Zimmermann) alongside transparent embedded
triples. On the one hand, I find this appealing. On the other hand, I am
a bit concerned that this may cause twice as much confusion...

That being said, I also still disagree with a number of your premises.
To name a few:

* the idea that the proposed semantics would be somewhat incompatible
with existing RDF and would "break common expectations". Unlike earlier
versions, the current semantics is entirely based on the standard RDF
semantics, so whatever it breaks could have been broken by RDF with or
without RDF-star. May be these "common expectations" about RDF need to
be revised.

* the idea that we can discuss this issue while deliberately ignoring
its theoretical underpinning. I am not dismissing social semantics and
philosophical considerations, I agree with you that they are also very
important. But they do not cover the whole picture.

* the idea that the current proposal is *my* proposal. We are four
editors, and anyone is welcome to submit pull requests to improve the
document -- as several people have already done. Granted, I have been
the most vocal proponent of the opaque semantics, and the most active
contributor to this part of the report (because I am fortunate enough to
be able to dedicate a significant part of my time to this). This might
have given a wrong impression. Therefore, I'll step back from these
discussions (I don't think I can write anything more about it which I
haven't written already, anyway). As an editor, I will implement
whichever consensus emerges.

   pa