Re: drop referentially opaque semantics in embedded triples

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 11:20:56 -0400
To: thomas lörtsch <tl@rat.io>, public-rdf-star@w3.org
[This is a revision of a previous message that had a bad example.]

An excellent description of the problems with referential opacity in embedded
triples.   I agree wholeheartedly.  I particularly like the detailed
investigation into the use cases.

I also note that referential opacity works poorly for the annotation syntax
(PG mode).  With referential opacity

:berlin :population 3644826 {| :determination-method :statistical-updating |}

does not entail

:berlin :population 03644826 {| :determination-method :statistical-updating |}

which I take to be completely unexpected.

(I purposefully picked an example that did not need any external identity
relationship.)

With this observation I would put use cases 3.1, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3,8, 3.9,
3.13, and 3.15 definitely in the referential transparency camp.

peter

PS:  On a technical note, with the new semantics switching between various
versions of transparent and opaque is simply a matter of changing the triples
added when eliminating an embedded triple (described in Section 6.1).