Re: SPARQL* evaluation semantics and RDF* semantics

Le 25/01/2021 à 11:15, Pierre-Antoine Champin a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> in the discussions about RDF* semantics, I have made an assumption which
> I want to check with the community before going further.
>
> I assume that we want the SPARQL* evaluation semantics and the RDF*
> model-theoretic semantics to be aligned, i.e. consistent with each other.
>
> In other words, given two RDF* graphs G1 and G2,
> whenever the MT semantics says that G1 entails G2,
> any SPARQL* compliant system containing G1 should return true on the
> query "ASK { ... }" where "..." is a SPARQL* representation of G2.
>
> FTR: this is currently the case for RDF simple entailment and SPARQL.

It is also the case for other entailment regimes (that is, for SPARQL
engines conforming to SPARQL 1.1 Entailment Regimes [1]).

> What's your position about that?

I agree. In case it is easier to reach an agreement on the semantics of
SPARQL*, it could be better to first cristalise the semantics of the
query language before defining the semantics of the data model.

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-entailment/
--
Antoine Zimmermann
Institut Henri Fayol