Re: From syntactic to interpreted triple

On fredag 22 januari 2021 kl. 16:32:57 CET James Anderson wrote:
> [...]
> to remain with a simple question, if there is dataset which contains the
> assertion
>
>    <<  :cars :are :bad . >> a :claim .
>
> and one were to wish to cause a query of the _sort_
>
>   ask where {  <<  :automobiles :are :bad . >> a :claim . }
>
> to return true, how would one achieve that?

Also for this question, before I attempt to answer it, I would like to know
how you assume to capture the knowledge that the URIs :automobiles and :cars
are meant to refer to the same thing?

Or, to phrase my question differently: if there is an RDF graph with the
triple

  :cars :are :bad .

and one wishes to obtain true for the following query

  ASK WHERE { :automobiles :are :bad . }

then how would one achieve that?

Can I assume that the reasoner/query engine has baked in the knowledge that
:automobiles and :cars are meant to refer to the same thing? Or can I assume
that there is also a second triple that captures this knowledge explicitly
(e.g., via owl:sameAs) and the reasoner/query engine understands the meaning
of this second triple and can use this meaning to make the inference needed to
return true for the query?

Notice that this question is independent of RDF*.

Olaf