Re: New proposal for RDF* Semantics

Andy,

On 08/01/2021 01:34, Andy Seaborne wrote:
 > (this is to tease out what is meant by "RDF* syntactic sugar" when it
is not about (concrete) syntax, but is really an abstract model 'syntax'
morphism).

Indeed :) While Turtle's "factorization" is syntactic sugar at the
concrete syntax level,
RDF*'s new kind of term is defined, in this proposal, as syntactic sugar
at the abstract syntax level.

Refraining from specifying the IRIs D*, S*, P* etc... prevents the leap
from abstract syntax to concrete syntax, so while RDF* is (abstract)
syntactic sugar for RDF, Turtle* is NOT syntactic sugar for Turtle...

> Please could you clarify with an example:
>
> "For each embedded triple (s, p, o)"
>
> and
>
> """
> An RDF* triple used as the subject or object of another RDF* triple is
> called an embedded triple.
> """

The section you are referring to is called "Mapping RDF* abstract syntax
to RDF" so we are not concerned here with the concrete representation of
the graph. G is simply a set of RDF* triples (per the definition).
Furthermore, the complete sentence is "For each embedded triples (s, p,
o) in constituents(G)", which was intended to make it clear that we are
not referring to *occurrences* of (s, p, o) in G, but to the triple (s,
p, o) itself.

> <<:s :p :o>> :q1 :r1 .
> <<:s :p :o>> :q2 :r2 .
>
> and
>
> <<:s :p :o>> :q1 :r1 ; :q2 :r2 .
>
> i.e. <<:s :p :o>> used twice as the subject even if via other turtle
> syntactic sugar.

As you know, those two Turtle* documents represent the same graph in the
abstract syntax:

   G = { ((:s,:p,:o), :q1, :r1),  ((:s,:p,:o), :q2, :r2) }

where

   constituents(G) = { (:s,:p,:o), :s, :p, :o, :q1, :r1, :g2, :r2 }

It follows that

* (:s,:p,:o) is an embedded triple in G (as it appears in the subject
position of at least one asserted triple,

* (:s, :p, :o) has two occurrences in G.

So unstar(G) will be the following set of 5 triples (where b is a blank
node):

   unstar(G) = {
       (b, :q1, :r1),
       (b, :q2, :r2),