Re: From syntactic to interpreted triple

Thomas,

On 07/02/2021 15:14, thomas lörtsch wrote:
>> On 7. Feb 2021, at 11:36, Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@ercim.eu> wrote:
>>

>> On 05/02/2021 17:17, thomas lörtsch wrote:
>>> It is easy to come up with scenarios where it is either important to record exactly which IRI was used to refer to :Berlin or where it is not important at all.
>> Absolutely
>>> The latter is most probably the normal case (and the proposed RDF* semantics doesn’t cover it).
>> Can we agree that the proposed RDF* semantics covers it, although not in your favourite way?

"your favorite way" wasn't meant to be dismissive.

What I meant was: can we agree that

   "this can not be done"

is not entirely accurate, but that

   "this can be done, but could/should be done in a better way"

would be a fairer account of the situation?

>>> As we all know on the semantic web the shared vocabularies have huge importance and took a lot of work to establish. You woud really have to come up up with much more substantial arguments to justify the need for their extension (just to cover the Superman use case, if I may repeat).
>> I consider, on the contrary, that reusing existing vocabulary with property-graph-style annotations should be done with extreme care.
> Then please explain what this leaves of the promise of RDF* implementing Property Graph style modelling in RDF.

It can be done, although only using appropriate vocabularies. But that's
not really something new: care must be taken in RDF whenever we reuse
someone else's vocabulary. By misusing it, we might create confusion.

> They don’t need extreme care,

They (Property Graphs, I assume) need less care because 1) they don't
have any built-in semantics, and 2) they don't reuse shared vocabulary.
The meaning of the terms used in a PG (node labels, edge labels,
properties) is entirely up the PG database author(s).

Other users of a PG database need to be careful, though. It is easy to
got things wrong in your Cypher query if you try to find all of Alice's
colleagues, but forget to take into account the dates on the "worksFor"
edges. (referring to my original example, quoted below).