Re: From syntactic to interpreted triple

On 2/7/21 5:36 AM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:

> On 05/02/2021 17:17, thomas lörtsch wrote:
>> It is easy to come up with scenarios where it is either important to record
exactly which IRI was used to refer to :Berlin or where it is not important at
all.
> Absolutely
>> The latter is most probably the normal case (and the proposed RDF*
semantics doesn’t cover it).

> Can we agree that the proposed RDF* semantics covers it, although not in
your favourite way?

I'm not agreeing on this.

There are
https://w3c.github.io/rdf-star/tests/semantics/manifest.html#opaque-iri and
similar test cases which, if approved, would require the RDF* semantics to be
(semi-)opaque.

But perhaps the question is whether it is easier to transform a transparent
semantics to a (semi-)opaque semantics or vice versa.

Let's consider a transparent semantics - standard RDF reification.   I have
shown that it is easy to transform standard RDF reification to opaque
semantics of various forms by adding extra triples to the reification to
encode the syntax of the triple that is being reified.  This can be modified
to be sensitive to the predicate of the triple that the embedded triple occurs in.

It is also possible to add semantic rules to (semi-)opaque RDF* semantics that
have triples in their interpretations.  The rule
  if I(z) = I(z') then I(<< x y z>> :on w.) is true iff I(<< x y z'>> :on w.)
is true
adds a (little) bit of transparency.

But these are only examples of the axiom that modifying the formal
underpinnings of a logic can do just about anything.

As far as I am concerned, none of the proposed RDF* semantics cover the
transparent reading of embedded triples.

peter