Re: multisets everywhere

(PJH -- Please be aware that your mail client is emitting content
which my Mail.app 9.3 [macOS 10.11.6], and probably some other mail
clients, cannot decode properly.  I was able to read the content
by resorting to the mailing list archives --
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2021Dec/0113.html
-- and I have manually quoted the snippet below.)

On Dec 26, 2021, at 02:45 AM, Patrick J. Hayes <phayes@ihmc.org> wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> In RDF 1.1, it was explicitly stated that any given graph must

>> be treated as a snapshot of a universe, just a moment in time

> NO!. I have no idea where you got this idea from, but it is completely and absolutely WRONG. There is no such notion of a 'snapshot' anywhere in RDF.

Please see RDF 1.1 Concepts and Abstract Syntax, 1.5 RDF and
Change over Time --
https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#change-over-time
(which is, admittedly and I think regrettably, non-normative) --

   The RDF data model is atemporal: RDF graphs are static
   snapshots of information.
   An RDF source is a resource that may be said to have a state
   that can change over time. A snapshot of the state can be
   expressed as an RDF graph.
   • Some RDF sources may, however, be immutable snapshots of
     another RDF source, archiving its state at some point in time.

-- and 1.6 Working with Multiple RDF Graphs --
https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#managing-graphs --

   There are many possible uses for RDF datasets. One such use
   is to hold snapshots of multiple RDF sources.

The rest of what you said rings true *about you*, as to the degree
that various things have been known for years/decades/eons, but
they do not seem to be so well known among various users of RDF,
SPARQL, Linked Data, and related technologies -- including the
developers of RDF stores (triples, quads, and/or larger tuples,
especially when they decide they want to use various tricks
internally to improve performance and/or simplify some queries
by polluting SPARQL and other processor-agnostic languages with
processor-specific syntax, etc.) *and* including various members
of the WGs which have produced the RDF-related RECs.

Be seeing you,

Ted