Re: OnAgainOffAgain relations - beyond celeb marriage: Org membership

On 11/12/2021 05:33, Anthony Moretti wrote:

>     Idea:
>
>     define a schema:realizationOf property, whose domain is
>     schema:Event and range is rdf-star:Triple (with an inverse
>     property schema:realization). The above could be expressed in
>     JSON-LD-star [1] as follows:
>
>     {
>         "@context": "https://schema.org/" <https://schema.org/>,
>         "@type": "Event",
>         "realizationOf": { "@id": {
>             "@id": "#bowls_club",
>             "captain": "#bob"
>         }},
>         "startDate": "01-01-2019",
>         "endDate": "31-12-2019"
>     }
>
> That works. Although when stating this I think the start and end dates
> should also be in the RDF-star triple. If the dates aren't there then
> the event is adding information to the triple, whereas I think the
> intention of "realization of" is to show a one-to-one mapping, is that
> right?
no, see below
> If the intention isn't a one-to-one mapping then it's sort of saying
> "instance of", where the only thing differentiating instances is the
> time period, which implies that all standard RDF triples without start
> and end times are implicit *types* of events (also makes sense to me).

yes, this is the idea behind my examples.

Note that, by design, RDF-star does not support the one-to-one mapping,
because quoted triples are (roughly) like IRIs or literals: they
represent the *same thing* everywhere they appear. This is discussed in
the CG report [1].

>     [
>         a :TenuredOfficeEvent ;
>         schema:name "Presidency of the United States"@en ;
>         :hasTermStartYear "1885"^^xsd:gYear ;
>         :hasTermEndYear "1889"^^xsd:gYear ;
>         :hasOfficer dbpedia:Grover_Cleveland
>     ] schema:author [
>                           a schema:Person;
>                           schema:worksFor
>     <https://www.whitehouse.gov/#this>
>                       ] ;
>        schema:publisher <https://www.whitehouse.gov/#this> .
>
>     [
>         a :TenuredOfficeEvent ;
>         schema:name "Presidency of the United States"@en ;
>         :hasTermStartYear "1893"^^xsd:gYear ;
>         :hasTermEndYear "1897"^^xsd:gYear ;
>         :hasOfficer dbpedia:Grover_Cleveland
>     ] schema:author [
>                           a schema:Person;
>                           schema:worksFor
>     <https://www.whitehouse.gov/#this>
>                       ] ;
>        schema:publisher <https://www.whitehouse.gov/#this> .
>
>     ## Turtle End ##
>
>     Key point:
>
>     No reification required, courtesy of RDF's fundamental essence :)
>
>     Kingsley
>

> That works, although it's less flexible because it interleaves
> concepts. For it to be fully understood a reasoner has to understand
> "Presidency of the United States" rather than simpler concepts that
> can be reused like "is President of" and "United States". Composition
> over inheritance
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_over_inheritance> could
> probably make the design simpler, but yeah it works for sure too.

Exactly. What I like about the "realization" pattern (or any similar
pattern involving quoted triples) is that it keeps a link between the
complex construct (the event) and the simple triple (asserted or not).

   pa

[1] https://w3c.github.io/rdf-star/cg-spec/editors_draft.html#occurrences