RE: OnAgainOffAgain relations - beyond celeb marriage: Org membership

Captain of the bowls club is another example.
(I was in one of these the other day admiring the wooden honour boards – the same names come up repeatedly but not necessary sequentially.)

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
Sent: Thursday, 9 December, 2021 22:57
To: public-rdf-star@w3.org
Subject: OnAgainOffAgain relations - beyond celeb marriage: Org membership

The celebrity re-marriage example is interesting and real, but may look a bit artificial or cornercase. A similarly structured situation is much more common - membership of organizations.

For example one organization being a member of another.

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q51698517 is the International Fact Checking Network (IFCN). It has a notion of membership grounded in review of members w.r.t. their official principles.

Verified signatories are e.g. https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q30325238 (Full Fact). There are some organizations such as Snopes (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q2287154) who were once members (verified signatories) but who are not currently.

Wikidata uses annotations on a https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P463 edge between IFCN and Snopes to give start/end times (
15 April 2017, 5 June 2019). It also points to evidence/source document.

As far as I know Snopes have only been members once, but if they were to rejoin it seems Wikidata could accomodate the task of representing this.

Until I learn a better name for it that isn't too grandiose, I am calling these "on again, off again" relationships, in honour of the celebrity marriage/divorce usecase.

Dan

p.s. another example, not quite notable enough for Wikidata to record:
I (https://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q56641640) have twice been a member of https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q7552326 (AISB - Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour).  But then I have multiple times lived in the U.K., or been in various restaurants; how do we scope RDF-Star's applicability? Which of these are reasonable places it could be used for time-scoped relationships?