Re: RDF-star use cases from Amazon Neptune

Hello.

I may be not very bright, and not very adept to these issues, but it seems to me dangerous to conflate in the same triples meanings that are very different in nature. In this case, marriage and wedding.

"Being married" is a state, and can only be true or false, but not multiple. On the other hand, most states are time-dependent and they may change truth value over time (as well as jurisdiction, point of view, etc.). Most states that I know about are time-dependent, even though it affects only one interval: is Barack Obama President of the United States? Is Napoleon the Emperor of France? In both cases (as in the proposed wedding example) the answer is neither "yes" nor "no", but "wrong tense, buddy!": they were in the past, they are not. This is exactly the situation for which I understood there was the most urgent need for RDF*:

:lizTaylor :married :richardBurton {|
 time:during :interval1;
 time:during :interval2;
|}

:interval1 a time:interval;
 time:starts "1964"^^xsd:Year;
 time:ends "1974"^^xsd:Year.

:interval2 a time:interval;
 time:starts "1975"^^xsd:Year;
 time:ends "1976"^^xsd:Year.

In this case it does not even make sense to mention the location of the wedding.

--

"Marrying" is an event, it happens in one specific interval in time, and there can be multiple exemplars with the same attributes, but each one has its own identity.

:FirstMarriage a :wedding;
 :bride :lizTaylor;
 :groom :richardBurton;
 :in :montreal;
 :on "1964-05-15"^^xsd:Date.

:SecondMarriage a :wedding;
 :bride :lizTaylor;
 :groom :richardBurton;
 :in :botswana;
 :on "1975-10-10"^^xsd:Date.

If we are describing events, there is very little need for RDF*, as far as I can see.

I personally do not see the Liz Taylor/Richard Burton example as a situation in which we want to count the occurrences of  (plain or RDF*) triples. listing occurrences answers, from my point of view, a different type of question: not "how many times were Taylor and Burton married", but "how many different datasets mention that Taylor and Burton were married?"

Counting occurrences of triples is used to identify how many different representations of the fact we were able to collect, not how many different facts were collapsed into identical triples.

Fabio