Re: New PR: yet another refactoring of the semantics

On 4/29/21 12:37 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> On 29/04/2021 15:53, Peter Patel-Schneider wrote:

[...]
>> The proposal uses all-new local vocabulary for encoding embedded
>> triples.  I don't see any reason to not use unstar:subject, etc.
>
> do you mean rdf:subject, etc?

Actually I meant just the local part.  Why not use unstar:subject, etc?

> No particular reason really, except that defining the "meddling" is easier
> when all IRIs are in the same namespace.

>> also don't see any reason to use abbreviations, e.g., sString instead
>> of subjectLexical
>
> No particular reason either. We can definitely rename them to something more
> explicit.
>
>> There might be a bug in the proposal.  It appears that the IRI x and
>> the string <x> are both mapped by L to "<x>"^^xsd:string.  I believe
>> that this has consequences.
>
> Not exactly. The string "<x>" is actually mapped to
>   "\"<x>\""^^xsd:string

That's not what the PR says.

   If t is itself a literal with the |xsd:string| datatype
<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-datatype>, the representation
/MUST/ be a simple literal
<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-simple-literal>.

   Please note that concrete syntaxes /MAY/ support simple literals consisting
of only a lexical form
<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-lexical-form> without any datatype
IRI <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-datatype-iri> or language tag
<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-language-tag>.

   a lexical form, being a Unicode [UNICODE
<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#bib-UNICODE>] string, which /SHOULD/ be
in Normal Form C [NFC <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#bib-NFC>],

So the simple literal for "<x>" is <x>. even though the path to get there
doesn't make much sense in this context.

You probably should say

   If t is itself a literal with the |xsd:string| datatype
<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-datatype>, the representation
/MUST/ be a|||STRING_LITERAL_QUOTE (from N-Triples grammar)|

|and maybe add|