Re: RDF* to RDF mapping (Re: First version of a test suite for RDF*)

> Consider this as a counter-example to your claim in [1] that
>
> 3. Otherwise, IMO, we need to somehow extend RDF semantics.
Yes, I understood this was your intent :)
> But, yes, the two approaches do share the idea of encoding subjects,
> predicates, and objects to achieve referential opacity for IRIs and
> literals.   My approach handles blank nodes in embedded triples, which is
> where the bulk of the difficulty lies.

Indeed.

Now, as I mentioned before, the reason why I came to the conclusion that
a semantic extension was required is that I wanted to enforce /in the
semantic/ the consistency between the properties pointing to
referentially opaque terms, and the corresponding properties pointing to
their denotation.

I think that your approach can do without this semantic extension
because you prevent anyone (but your -* mapping) from using the rdf*:
namespace. So those constraints are enforce structurally by the -*
mapping, rather than by the semantics. Would you agree?

> To make the approach work for all RDF* graphs care has to be taken that the
> encoding terms do not occur in the RDF* graph and cause problems.  As I encode
> literals as string literals and permit extended graphs where literals can be
> subjects (and predicates) I had to map strings away from my encoding strings.
> The encoding could be changed to use a new datatype as you do and that would
> obviate the need to map string literals away.  But there would still need to
> be a mapping of IRIs.

I understand why you want to map IRIs. I think however that this is not
required for literals: what harm could happen if I wrote a triple
involving "Xhttp://example.com/"? Since I can't use the rdf*: predicate,
I don't think this would cause any problem... But that's a detail.

As I understand, this mapping would have to be applied to all triples
entering the system, regardless of the format. Not only would Turtle*
files need to be transformed, /but also all vanilla RDF files/ (Turtle,
RDF/XML, N-Triples...), just in case they would use the rdf*: namespace,
to prevent them from breaking the internal structure of embedded triples.

It feels like like a big price to pay to keep the same semantics. And I
feel that implementers would rather add a special treatment for RDF*
embedded triples, than transform any triple that enters their system,
just to be able to represent embedded triples internally as plain RDF.
And if I am right, I would rather extend the semantics accordingly.

   pa