Re: owl:sameAs/referential opacity Re: Can RDFstar be defined as only syntactic sugar on top of RDF (Re: weakness of embedded triples)

> On 19. Nov 2020, at 19:06, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think there is still a problem in this discussion with underdefined
> foundational terms, notably "triple type".
>
> There are two documents that, in my opinion, provide foundations for RDF*.
> There is the original technical report "Foundations of an Alternative Approach
> to Reification in RDF" and there is RDF* and SPARQL* at
> https://w3c.github.io/rdf-star/rdf-star-cg-spec.html.  The term "triple type"
> does not occur in the former and only occurs in the latter without definition.
>
> Please can we only use technical terms that are defined in one of these
> documents or that have an accompanying definition that is based on terms in
> one of the above documents?

I understand that my sometimes quite naive inquieries must be frustrating to follow for people that are fluent in the terminology and understand properly what they are talking about. I’m trying to understand what RDF* is not on its own, with the terms the paper and the spec use, but in comparison to RDF reification. Pat in an earlier mail in this thread, cites the published semantics document (https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-mt/#reification):

"The subject of a reification is intended to refer to a concrete realization of an RDF triple, such as a document in a surface syntax, rather than a triple considered as an abstract object."

I understand that what I called in a misguided stylistic attempt an "actual assertion" and then a "triple occurrence"  and sometimes a "triple token" is what the RDF spec calls "a concrete realization of an RDF triple". OTOH I understand the term "triple type" as referring to the same concept that the RDF spec calls "a triple considered as an abstract object".  Is that good enough as a shared vocabulary or is it not clear if terms from the RDF spec are appropriate to describe concepts of RDF*?

I take it from Pierre-Antoines last answer (thanks for your patience, pa!) that the subject of an RDF* annotation is  what the RDF spec calls "a triple considered as an abstract object". That is a description that I can wrap my head around and work with. I hope it’s right.

Thomas

> peter

>>> This answer doesn’t help me as in my terminology "triple" and "triple
>>> (type)" refer to very different things.
>> Yes, that's why I put "type" in parenthesis.
>>>   Let’s try another terminology: types of triples versus occurrences of
>>> triples. A triple of type
>>>     :a :b :c .
>>> can occurr in different graphs. Graphs are defined as sets of triples and
>>> therefor any triple can occurr only once per graph.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Imagine the following RDF* graph, consisting of only one annotated statement:
>>>
>>>     :a :b :c {| :d :e |}
>>>
>>> Does the annotation ':d :e' annotate
>>> 1) that specific occurrence of ':a :b :c' in the same graph or
>>> 2) some occurrence of ':a :b :c' but it doesn’t define which or