Re: owl:sameAs/referential opacity Re: Can RDFstar be defined as only syntactic sugar on top of RDF (Re: weakness of embedded triples)

On 19/11/2020 12:41, thomas lörtsch wrote:

>> On 18. Nov 2020, at 15:07, Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@ercim.eu> wrote:
>>
>> On 17/11/2020 23:18, thomas lörtsch wrote:
>>
>>> Just a quick check:

>>> […]

>>> You mean
>>> is meant to annotate all triple tokens of type
>>>  :a :b :c .
>>> everywhere, anywhere?
>> As Peter pointed out in his reply, RDF* does not have any notion of "triple token", only that of "triple type" (so to speak).
>>
>> So the example above is not "meant to annotate all triple tokens", but meant to annotate this one triple (type).
> This answer doesn’t help me as in my terminology "triple" and "triple (type)" refer to very different things.
Yes, that's why I put "type" in parenthesis.
>   Let’s try another terminology: types of triples versus occurrences of triples. A triple of type
>  :a :b :c .
> can occurr in different graphs. Graphs are defined as sets of triples and therefor any triple can occurr only once per graph.

Yes.

> Imagine the following RDF* graph, consisting of only one annotated statement:
>
>  :a :b :c {| :d :e |}
>
> Does the annotation ':d :e' annotate
> 1) that specific occurrence of ':a :b :c' in the same graph or
> 2) some occurrence of ':a :b :c' but it doesn’t define which or
> 3) any occurrence of ':a :b :c' in all graphs ?
>
> I assume it’s option 2 but I’m not sure.

For me the answer is:

4) it annotates the triple type itself

And annotating the type is not the same thing as annotating one or
several occurrences -- just like annotating a set is not the same as
annotating one or several of its elements...